Back 2 The Base - Barcarola, Jan. 5, 2008

By now Barcarola feels like home, though I'm not crazy about the Saturday Night bands. Very consistent quality, creative without being overbearing and very attentive service.

Zind-Humbrecht, Hengst Grand Cru, Gewurztraminer, 2002

I bought this wine to find out what a world class Gewurtz is like. The nose is very layered, highlighting as it opens citrus and tropical fruits, minerals, spices, rose petals, honey. The palate is bitter though, slightly alcoholic and not as arresting. I like the wine overall but with 15% and a sweetness index of 4, the grapes must have been harvested so very ripe it's no wonder there is so little acidity. I think I'd buy the wine again from a different vintage when the alcohol % is lower. Used to be imported by WineRoute for about 220 NIS but Z-H imports have been rather irregular since.

Trimbach, Cuvee des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierr, Gewurztraminer, 1997

Just a coincidence, two Gewurztraminers at the same evening. Minerals on the nose but that's where it ends. Very one dimensional on nose and palate. A bad bottle perhaps? Or maybe I'm just not a Gewurtz fan. Not imported to Israel but recent vintages sell for about 40$ in the US.

Domaine Fontaine-Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Premier Cru, Clos St. Jean, 2002

This is what happens when Chardonnay and oak marry almost perfectly. The nose is all flint and shades of cordamom, so captivating you can drown in it. The palate needs to flesh out because the oak renders it austere and a bit drying but it is still rewarding right now. I would have it any time except that WineRoute sells it for over 300 NIS.

Robert Arnoux, Vosne-Romanne, 2004

I tasted this wine this summer and I'm glad to see it's living up to its promise. It still has the same lovely red-fruits-and-tobacco-leaves nose but the palate's grip has tightened up. WineRoute sold it this summer for about 170 NIS, not sure how much is left but it's a very good village that I think might improve in a year.

Domaine Brusset, Gigondas, Hauts de Montmirail, 2001

Another re-tasting of a beloved wine. Gigondas rules! My overall impression of the wine is so similar to my last impression it could well have been the same bottle. This is one of my favorite renditions of black fruits, with gripping, yet integrated tannins. At its peak now. Not imported to Israel, god damn it.

Chateau Bouyot, Sauternes, 1983

This made such a sorry impression on I'm not even sure I wrote down the correct vintage. Brown sugar on the nose and uninteresting on the palate. Like drinking a bottle of Love Story, with a 70 year old Ryan O'Neill.

Comments