Misc. Notes (Nov. 2007)

Langwerth Von Simmern, Erbacher Marcobrunn, Riesling Kabinett, 2003

Starts out less distinctive than last time. Less complexity and concentration on the palate, though the aromatics are textbook German Riesling, with apple pie, peached amd talc. The last bottle had more fat and greater intensity. Not bad but I'm re-thinking my premise that the 2003 was better than the 2004. (Nov. 10, 2007)

Imported by Giaconda, about 100 NIS.

Also from Giaconda:

Josef Leitz, Rudesheimer Magdalenenkreuz, Riesling Spatlese, 2006

This is not a very complex wine right now but it offers a very pure, beautiful Riesling nose, with peaches and hints of chalk and spices, becoming floral after time in glass, with apple pie notes as well. The purity of the fruit is reflected on the palate, which surprises by hinting at raspberries over delicious green apple acidity which carries on a very decent finish (not a home run, but gets the man on base home). This doesn't hail from any of Leitz' grand crus which shows, I think, in a certain lack of intensity and sophistication but it is very fine in its own right and at 100 NIS for club members, attractively priced. (Nov. 24, 2007)

Chateau d'Armailhac, Pauillac, 5me Cru, 2001

I'll be the first to admit I don't know enough about Bordeaux, but I'm getting there, I'm getting there. The nose is just lovely, a mixture of red fruit - almost crossing over into black fruit territory - earth, tobacco and minerals. The aromatics project an image of a chef working detereminedly in the kitchen and you know, this is what I want on regular basis, New World flamboyance be damned. The palate is less rewarding - though I'll defend it and admit I opened it on the early side, although it is drinking nicely - lacking a bit of concentration and finesse, but there's enough well-proportioned fruit, judicious acidity and lingering salinity on the finish to earn it a couple of extra points. (Nov. 14, 2007)

Imported by WineRoute. I don't remember the exact price though I recall it was a "good value for Bordeaux'.

Giacosa Fratelli, Barbera d'Alba, 2004

A dark rose, really. Strawberries, a touch of earth and a dash of chocolate on the nose, followed by a light, somewhat tart body. You think it's over and then the finish sustains a heartbeat more than you'd expect and leaves a delicate, saline kiss on your buds and I like it better than some of it's more extroverted peers. Give the little feller a hand, folks. (Nov. 20, 2007)

Paternoster, Don Anselmo, Aglianico del Vulture, 1997

I have shitty luck with this wine. My first encounter was very promising, but things have been going downhill ever since. The nose is ripe, sweet fruit with cocoa and raiseny, oxidized notes, at times reminding me of an Oloroso. The palate has its moments, there are still plenty of dusty tannins and acidity so it doesn't feel over-ripe and it has its idiosyncratic charms. But that's just it, this wine is an idiosyncratic oddball and as such, it has much more interest than quality per se. I was going to devote a whole post to it, but it's too depressing: I really loved the first bottle. (Nov. 22, 2007)

Imported by Anavim. Look, guys, I'll still want to try any new vintage you bring in, please don't give up on this wine.

Another unfortunate encounter:

Leroy, Bourgogne Rouge, 1999

The 1997 blanc was just lovely. This, however... Maybe I'll just blame the bottle? Nothing there at all. Meager nose that hints at Bourgogne and a flat, acidic palate. (Nov. 24, 2007)

Comments