Proust Moments With Feldstein


Segal, Dishon, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2000

Avi Feldstein is a friend. I first bought this wine in 2003 or 2004, almost ten years before I even met Avi. There are a lot of temporal cross currents blowing through my encounter with this wine in 2021:


My memories of buying the wine (at the Raanana branch of Wine Route).

My memories of drinking my two bottles way, way back.

My memories of Avi.

My memories of his most recent wines.


Should I separate these memories from the visceral experience of drinking the wine in December 2021, or accept the fact that they enrich the experience?


For me, that’s a no-brainer.


Judging the wine on its own merits, I must say that it has aged spectacularly well, with no sign of wear or old age. My old notes are long lost, but I think I can remember enough to recognize common ground between the young Dishon and the mature one. I don't mean specific descriptors, but those I pick up now (red fruit, rust, paprika and cinnamon) strike a similar chord as a whole. A lovely wine, anyways. The acidity is still lively and the tannins frame the fruit and still bite firmly on the finish.


Segal, Dishon, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2005

By 2005, the label had been re-designed, but the wine was still the same, structured in a lither, less muscular style than the flagship Unfiltered Cabernet Sauvignon. It has the same precious rust and paprika on the nose as the 2000, the same lively acidity, but the sweetness of the fruit is more obvious. I prefer the tannic crunch of the 2000. Both wines demonstrate that the old Dishon vintages were built to last, but the 2000 gives a solid proof why they were worth the wait.


Comments