Misc. Notes (June 2007)

Lilian Ladouys, St. Estephe, 2000

I bought this four years ago from WineRoute. It was one of my first Bordeaux and, at approx. 120 NIS, it seemed like a good buy at the time. Today, I'm not sure I'd bother. For the same money, I'd prefer to buy a white wine. Damn, I remember phoning the store about a second bottle after the tasting, I was that impressed.

Mildly jammy fruit on the nose, with tobacco, earth and sweet spices. Medium-bodied, hollow at first, not very long. The body fills out in time, but it doesn’t grow much longer. Nice nose, though, and it is a nice wine- with decent balance at the end of the day - but just nice. This bottle should be drunk soon - I'm hedging my bet because of its wet cork. (Jun. 7, 2007)

Tedeschi, Capitel San Rocco, 2004

Tedeschi's ripasso, imported by Anavim. Should sell from 75-90 NIS.

Ripe fruit, leather, chocolate, minerals on the nose. Medium-bodied and fruity, near sweet with soft tannins that start to assert themselves after an hour and a half, countering the fruit nicely and the first sign that this wine might outgrow the sweet baby fat. The palate is more modern and New World than I remembered the 1997, almost resembling an Australian Shiraz. I guess the winery did change the style of this wine after all. Thumbs up for the nose, though. (Jun. 12, 2007)

Brotte, Chateauneuf-du-Pape Blanc, 2003

Imported by Shimon Lasry, bought by a friend for 120 NIS. Out of nine white CdP's I've drunk so far, five were unenjoyable. Including this one.

Pea soup, herbs and minerals, with just a hint of fruit on both nose and palate. Probably a good example of dumb middle age of its style but for me, another white CdP shut down and beyond enjoyment. I finished up my glass like a good lad for educational purposes. (Jun. 14, 2007)

Margalit, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2002

Probably cost me about 140 NIS some three years ago.

A good example of a modern, extroverted style and an excellent result for what is generally deemed a problematic vintage. Ripe black fruits, complemented by spicy oak and game meat. Good concentration and length. Decent complexity. A well crafted wine in its style; much better than the Merlot of the same year - better balance and a more defined sense of origin. (Jun. 14, 2007)

Rene et Vincent Dauvissat, Chablis Premier Cru, Le Foret, 2000

I expected more of this wine, considering the scores it had received in some circles, as well as my love for Chablis. The nose was very fine, lots of minerals and hints of nut oil that I'd picked up in other Dauvissat wines. But the palate, though heartwarmingly crisp, was very restrained, which in itself is a good starting point for a great wine, but that's where it ended, restrained and closed, leaving me looking for more fruit and never finding it. (Jun. 23, 2007)

Castello Di Fonterutoli, Chianti Classico Riserva, 1998

This is the third time I've had this wine and I've always adored it. I guessed Brunello 1997 blind, so at least I got Italy right and if you're prejudiced against Chianti, this should tell you that this wine is more powerful and complex than you might think. I don't remember who imports it to Israel and what its price is but its not cheap and that's a shame. The initial impression is a blast of fruit and leather and it's muscular and plush at the same time. From my experience, it's been at its peak for a couple of years and won't improve further but there's no rush to drink it; the bottle we had could have lasted until 2010. (Jun. 23, 2007)

Comments