Home Alone

Domaine Buisson-Charles, Meursault, Vieilles Vignes, 2017

I've loved this bottling for years, yet, despite the "Vieilles Vignes" tag, it has never struck me as a wine that demands a long time in the cellar. It always seems to sing after only a few years. What's more, in the years since I've been drinking it, it's become lither and racier, apples and flint rather than pears and spices, which is what I've always taken to be the Meursault banner. A class act, with the elegance of a Premier Cru. (Feb. 27, 2021)

Jean-Louis Dutraive (Domaine de la Grand'Cour), Brouilly, Cuvée Vieilles Vignes, 2018

I drank the 2018 Fleurie a few months ago and it was too big-boned for me, really. This is spot on, a lithe, fresh Beaujolais. Aromas of strawberries, baking spices, clay, flowers are carried on to the palate. There's purity of fruit - expressive, yet not expansive or over-rich - as well as mid-tier complexity. Lovely. (Feb. 20, 2021)

Willi Schaefer, Model, Graacher Himmelreich, Riesling Kabinett, 2016

Himmelreich is always lighter than the Domprobst, so I always reach for one of the Kabinetts when I need a fix and let the Domprobsts lay. It's been working out well, so far. There's great acidity here, imbuing the usual Mosel Granny apples with an overlay of lime and bringing out salty flavors on the finish. (Mar. 2, 2021)


Nana Estate, Chenin Blanc, 2019

I missed the train here, even though I heard the buzz. It's pure of fruit, very clear, a 'quiet', focused wine, with delicate nuances of earth and spices. Like Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon, I think Chenin Blanc has potential in Israel and here is further proof. A lovely wine and I look forward to future developments, as the vines grow more mature and winemaker Dan Benny keeps sharpening her understanding of her material. (Mar. 7, 2021)

Tzora Vineyards, Judean Hills, Blanc, 2018

Mostly Chardonnay, the fruit here is bright and vivid, while a light note of reduction coaxes expressive notes of flint and toast crust. One of the best JHBs ever. (Mar. 10, 2021)

Domaine Ninot, Rully Premier Cru, Marissou, 2018

I didn't really expect a "Premier Cru" and didn't really get one. Just a good, rustic Pinot, with  enough brett to accentuate the earthy character without introducing any spoor. (Mar. 3, 2021)

Comments