Northern Lights (May 19, 2014)

The thing about vacations is, sometimes you drink wines you pass by back home. Necessity is the mother of inventions, y'all. Bear with me as I walk you through some snapshots from a romantic getaway up north.

First, a very nice wine I should have tried at home, had I taken the trouble.

Pelter, Gewürztraminer, 2012

The local depiction of the grape is, happily, not as intense as the Alsatian version. There is bitter grapefruit and rose petals and a well measured pinch of spice, all without the crushing backbone of mustard-like extract that time never manages to temper in the aristocratic Alsace crus.

Then, a bottle from a winery I've been avoiding for the last half decade.

Sea Horse, Hemingway, 2011

70% Petit Syrah, 20% Sauvignon and 5% Syrah probably approximate Hemingway's personality, as the wine is sturdy, yet soft, with a faux pas manliness delineated by sweet black cherries and leather. Impressive at first, then gets on my nerves.

Finally, this is one wine I actively sought out and it's spellbindingly unique.

Ashkar, Iqrit, Sauvignon Blanc, 2013

Like the cat piss without the gooseberry bush at first, until the fruit starts to bloom, saline and intense, to welcome effect. There is nothing like it locally, if indeed anywhere. I truly loved it, and while I'm sure afficionados of correct wines would disapprove, I totally welcome it into my world.

Comments