Another Saturday Night (Nov. 28, 2009)

A. Et P. De Villaine, Rully, Les-St.Jacques, 2006

I am a fan of this winery and was glad to see this wine so well received by my friends. Initially, there is a note of tropical fruit on both nose and palate that adds a misleading touch of sweetness that made it hard for those tasting blind to pinpoint its origin. However, time and some warmth bring out its mineral nature and Bourgogne character. There are still some remnants of oak, but overall, it is lighter than its northern brethren.

Imported by Burgundy Wine Collection, sold for about 120 NIS. Excelllent value.

Chateau Destieux, St. Emilion Grand Cru, 2000

The initial sniffs and sips worried me that this would be somewhat over-extracted but it turnedout quite balanced after all. It has tasty red fruit with an earthy, rustic appeal and a light veneer of minerals on the nose.

Not imported to Israel, price unknown.

Chateau Pontet-Canet, Pauillac 5me Cru, 2000

It's quite a treat to have two Bordeaux 2000's on a 'regular' Saturday night. This bottle had been double-decanted a few hours before drinking. It has more subtle aromatics, compared to the Destieux, yet very currant-y. It has a nice mouth-feel, grainy and velvety at the same time, yet less impressive than I'd have thought. I certainly preferred the Destieux on this occasion.

Imported to Israel by WineRoute. I believe the price these days is in the mid 300's.

Chateau Beaucastel, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, 1999

I love Beaucastel but I wouldn't have expected a relatively young one to show more elegance than a Bordeaux, as this one did. The nose is complex enough to make me want to chalk that up to its famous blend of thirteen varieties and the palate has more vibrant acidity than I'd have expected. Showing very well.

Imported by WineRoute. Before fame went to Beaucastel's heads, this used to be sold for about 210 NIS. Now the price is closer to 400 NIS.

Chateau Doisy-Daene, Barsac 2me Cru, 2001

Unctuous and flattering, yet it works. This was perhaps opened a couple of years too early, but it is very appealing already. I wish I had more, if only because I was too tired to make a more detailed note.

Purchased in the US for about 30 USD, some six years ago, but I think it's one of those smaller Sauternes that never quite get the spotlight and thus its prices have remained stable. Not imported to Israel, however.






Comments